Tis’ the season for pomegranate!! I’ll admit, before this winter season, I didn’t give pomegranate the time of day. I was used to buying those pre-packaged cups of seeds and always found them to be excessively bitter and a little over-ripe/rancid. But then I decided to give fresh pomegranate seeds a shot, with my husband doing much of a hard labor, and just fell in love with them! They were like little rubies filled with sweet and bitter juice. I became obsessed with putting these little jewels in everything I could. The best way was adding them to my favorite pancake recipe from Love & Lemons!
These are a delicious and festive breakfast, perfect for Christmas morning!
- 1 ripe medium banana, about 1/2 cup mashed
- 2/3 cups unsweetened almond milk (homemade or store bought)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups gluten-free flour *
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds, plus more for topping
- Coconut oil, to grease the pan
- Puree banana, almond milk, and vanilla extract in a food processor or high-speed blender. You want to make it as runny as possible.
- In a medium bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- Pour banana mixture in with dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in pomegranate seeds.
- Grease a medium non-stick skillet or a non-stick griddle with coconut oil. Pour batter into pan or on griddle.
- Allow pancakes to cook until bubble start forming the in center (about 1 minute) and then flip to cook on the other side for another minute.
- Serve pancakes warm and topped with more pomegranate seeds and your favorite syrup.
*If you don’t have gluten-free flour, feel free to you substitue with spelt flour or a 50/50 combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat pastry flour.